CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Good old King George

Mary's cousin Steve and his wife Nadine found a 1918 King George penny on his property a few weeks ago.

Instantly I felt a jealous excitement of his find. His house and property are hundreds of years old, so there is no telling what could be hidden there. Mary put-in the word that we wanted go over to help metal detect their yard. We called them after dinner to see if we could visit with our equipment. They agreed to tape their favorite shows to detect with us.

Steve and Nadine are getting there whole yard ripped out to put in a new driveway so we brought our big shovel. After visiting their cat "BOOTS" and seeing "the penny "we were inspired to find one of our own.

Steve and Nadine grabbed their own detector and we set out to explore their yard. Using our patented "walking willy-nilly" technique we soon had our first interesting hit. Digging down 4" I pulled up a loonie sized coin with markings I'd never seen before. We showed it to Steve who wanted to stop detecting to clean it up right away. I knew it was good find but wanted to keep going until the sun set. Digging large holes in their yard we pulled up a mini toy gun, a metal toy truck wheel, a dinky car boat trailer and what I want to believe is a musket ball.

We retired to the house to clean up our finds only to discover that the large coin we found was in fact a 1844 Canadian Half-penny. Mary looked it up on the internet and in it's condition it is only worth $2. I wouldn't sell it anyways. It is the bestest thing we found. I just don't know what I want to put on my "I'd love to find list" since we checked off - 'an 1800's coin' and - 'a musket ball'








0 comments: