CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 28, 2007

We're going to need a bigger boat

We had no other plans for the evening. No meeting with Window Installation Contractors nor coffee with Geocaching friends (using a Global Positioning Device to find pieces of tupperware someone else hide in the forest and posted their co-ordinates on-line).


Tonight was dedicated to METAL DETECTING!!!

I had my choice of where to search. I wanted to try something different then the beach. (bottle caps only generate limited excitement). There is a spot in the woods where we suspected cool things might be buried. We loaded up the car and off we went to explore.

To our equipment we added some knives for cutting holes in sod and a sturdy backpack with plastic bags for placing our items in (The fanny pack got sandy and rusty from the previous night)

The mosquitos were out and I choose a short sleeve shirt which cost me a bit of spilled blood. During our walk in we discovered that the ground was hard and baked from the summer's dryness. Once at the site our beautiful handheld weed rake became a broken smile of twisted teeth.

I scanned and Mary dug but it proved to be hard work so we switched. I pulled up a railway spike, 6"bolts and a 14" long 'T' shaped item (pictured right) .

While I dug Mary explored and found a 'sweet' spot. More like a whole area that the Metal Detector went crazy!!! So I became to dig finding a fancy decorative piece of iron, then another and another. Digging down 2 inches in a 5ft radius I uncovered bits of a rod iron fence laying in the middle of nowhere. My hands became blistered with the frantic digging with the tiny hand shovel. I was glad we had the backpack as it quickly filled up and I began to think, " We're going to need a bigger boat!"
Mary had to take over until the sun was beginning the set and the forest became dark. Not having my GPS I'm not too sure where we were. I refilled all our holes and we made our way back to find the car.

We difineately need a collasping shovel if we come back to the woods. I think a sifter would also be usefull if we go out to the beach again. Perhaps we can pick-up some of these things this weekend. This whole thing has become a learning experience. I also want to get some cleaner to fix up these decorative pieces .
I'm so happy that we found them!!!
Here are some sunset pictures Mary took on our drive home.


1 comments:

Mary and Bob said...

I totally enjoy reading your description of what we did!!

Makes me want to read more!!

Now get your butt out there and do some more metal detecting please. (GIGGLE)