CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Treasure Map

I used the prilivages of work to access aerial photography of the Niagara Region from the 1930's to discover where old homesteads used to exist. I overlayed this with a GPS co-ordinate grid to give us exact locations (within 3metres) of where these ruins are located. I printed the whole map off so it would easily fit in my pocket.

I would love to upload a picture of this map but then everyone would know where we plan to search for treasure.
Rest assured, the map does exist.
It is very nice and we used it for the first time today.

We had stopped at Canadian Tire and picked up a mini shovel. It in the same as a regular shovel but 1/4 scale. It fits nicely in our back pack and it is now our main digging tool.

We decided to find ruins deep in the middle of forest where no one goes. And it payed off very nicely.
The first picture is of the dozens different sized square barn nails we found.

The second picture is of some railway spikes, a metal stove damper, and electrical box and a squished lantern burner deck. I left these pieces in the woods since they were quite heavy.

We also found old rock foundation, collapsed wells, ditch channels, walkways, laneways, steps as well as old trees that young lovers might have spent time under.

The last picture contains an axe head, decorative iron work, a big hook, part of a hinge, abelt hook, a spoon and the metal houseing of an old watch.

We were sweating alot and our backs were aching when we noticed that the time was past 5pm It was time to call it a day and get home for dinner.

In the near future I'm going to try to polish the spoon and watch houseing to discover what metal they are made of.

3 comments:

Mary and Bob said...

I think we still need a detector with a depth gauge or something that tells us what metal we are digging at. heehee ;o)

..teacup.. said...

I have to say you two, I find this blog FASCINATING!

Love to know all about your start up costs to do this. I've always wanted to try metal detecting.

Bob and Mary said...

TO: ..teacup..

metal detectors don't cost that much. They start at $150. I one we are using right now is about $500 and there are untis that cost up to $1000.