CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Quest for the ancient coin


We met our friend Wild Willy through geocaching. He has a metal detector too and we have been trying to convince to go detecting with us but haven't set up a time yet.

He was out detecting by himself and phoned us the next day saying he found a strange old dime with stars around the edges. After looking it up on the internet he informed us it was a dime from 1801!!!

Now, remembered how I said before that all I really wanted to find was a dinky-car... well I have a new goal now.

I WANT TO FIND A COIN FROM THE 1800's.

Mary agreed to join me on my quest and off we went to the same site in Niagara-on-the-Lake to repeat his discovery. Using the Fisher underwater detector we combed the water and beaches but found nothing but a grill someone chucked into the lake. We traded detectors and began to scan the grass areas. Soon webegan finding brass items. I became quite excited since we are near historical territory where the war of 1812 took place. Maybe these were buttons off 1812 soldiers uniform. .

But what we discovered were stray bullets from the nearby shooting range (What they are doing in a park used for walking dogs I'm not sure).
We re-tuned the detector for money as the sunset and everything became dark. But all we could find were a couple of pennies, so we went home.

Mary has always wanted to detect the grass boulevard in front of our house. I was very tired but I agreed to help. With a flashlight we began to search. And wouldn't you know it, she began pulling out money from my front lawn!!! (Why did we drive all the way to N-O-T-L to find money?) She pulled up a dozen pennies and a quarter adding 42 cents to the mason jar.

I also realized that I didn't add 26 cents we found the very first time we went metal detecting. All this give us a new grand total of $8.79

1 comments:

Mary and Bob said...

I always look forward to see what type of design you are going to make with the findings of the day. lol