CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Two strike-outs, a double and a homerun.

We met my parents for breakfast this morning at J.J.Kapps (super breakfast!!!). After telling them of our past metal detecting adventures we were ready to create new ones. It was a beautiful day and I was excited about scanning in Queenston so we grabbed the equipment.

The first place we stopped was at the end of York street where the old trolley line went over the Niagara River. From the aerial photography I thought it was a dirt path from the end of the road to the retaining wall where the old customs office stood. I thought this would be a great place because it has history and people would be going on and off the trolley.
I was wrong and the whole area was paved over with broken beer bottles and garbage scattered everywhere.

Our second thought was Laura Secord public school in Queenston. It was empty of metal as well. We noticed the back window of the school had been forced open. There was a sign giving a phone number to report damage so I called. The operator said they were sending people over right away to investigate. I decided standing around with a metal detector might not look good so we took off.

We hit another school on the way back to St.Catharines and found a toonie ($2 coin), 2 quarters and three pennies. $2.53. I also found a big green magic marker buries 4" below the swing set.
We didn't have much more luck so we continued on.


There was a place that Mary really wanted to detect so we changed course to check it out. The way in as jungle like as we followed and old creek bed to find the ruins of a house. Locating their bottle dump first we moved up from the creek to find the well and foundation (I forgot to bring my GPS to mark the exact location. But I think I could find it again).
The metal detector hits were not promising pulling up a plow blade, lead tool tip, a gear, small lightbulb, a stamped piece of metal and an old bolt.

Until in a clearing we pulled up this small ring. We thought it was silver but the white metal rubbed off . There is a seam on the inside where the ring was re-sized.

I became hot and tired from the hot sun so we packed it up and came home to do further searches at the site another day.
I forgot to mention the Mason Jar is up to $13.21 and we have found 5 rings

1 comments:

Mary and Bob said...

I'm loving this hobby so much! I can hardly wait to go out again!!

You forgot to mention we bumped into our friends JWID who were geocaching. LOL

Just trying to think where we can go next. :o)